Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Female Cardinal by Ann Hoffpauir


Cardinals are visitors to my yard all year round. There are several bird feeders placed where I can get a good view of the many types of birds that come to feed at them. The cardinal is the most frequent visitior. They are not shy birds. They only fly a few feet away when I come to get the feeder to refill it.
A few years ago after I had refilled a feeder, I went back to my porch and stood and watched the birds come back to feed. There was a male cardinal on the feeder and he would take his beak and push the seeds out over the side. I thought "well dang, no wonder the seeds are going so fast". As I watched though, there were more cardinals and other birds on the ground under the feeder. They looked like adult birds. I realized after awhile, they were immature birds and the male was encouraging them to eat the seeds. These young birds would try to fly up and land on the feeder. I suppose that ledge on the feeder looked like a scary precipice to land on for those young birds. It took awhile but they did it.
This painting is size 7x5 oil on canvas panel. The price is $75.00. Thank you for viewing.
© Ann Hoffpauir

No comments:

Post a Comment